Wisdom Tooth Extraction: When Is It Necessary?

Wisdom Tooth Extraction: When Is It Necessary?

A major milestone takes place between the ages of 17 and 21, with the emergence of a set of third molars at the back of our mouth.

Wisdom teeth usually come through a lot later than our other teeth. But if they come out correctly, they help us chew our food. This isn’t the reality for a lot of people, though, with wisdom teeth erupting at awkward angles or there not being enough space in the jaw for them.

So while it’s normal to feel discomfort when they start emerging, if it gets unbearable, it’s best to visit your dentist. An estimated 10 million Americans get their wisdom tooth extracted yearly.

Around 2% of people are born without any wisdom teeth. That leaves 98% percent who can possibly experience complications when theirs emerge. There’s a high chance that you will require a wisdom tooth extraction at least once in your lifetime. The good news is that the procedure can be easily performed at a dentist’s office.

Here are a few instances that mandate a wisdom tooth extraction.

Gum Problems

If a wisdom tooth experiences an interrupted eruption, it will cause swelling and pain. It gets worse when the teeth have only partially erupted from the gum, as this can lead to cysts, tumors, and infections. These are serious dental problems which can cause discomfort and affect your overall dental health.

These incompletely erupted teeth end up creating deep pockets which start collecting food and bacteria. According to the American Dental Association, 42% of adults suffer from periodontitis—a form of gum disease which can be an outcome of infected wisdom teeth. This is why it’s so important to book a consultation with a professional if yours are coming through.

Damage to Other Teeth

The extra molars present in the teeth can end up dislocating the surrounding teeth. This will cause pain and biting problems, leading to many other problems.

One such example is cavities, which appear on the tooth roots and spread to surrounding areas. Due to the food that accumulates in misshapen teeth and the plaque that builds up, its easier for the other teeth to get affected as well. If cavities do occur, it becomes inevitable to extract the wisdom tooth.

Chewing Function

If the wisdom tooth starts scraping the soft tissues of the mouth, it will be a hindrance to jaw movement. The constant biting of the cheek and food getting caught in the teeth, especially around the wisdom tooth, will lead to infections. The mouth is designed to fit 32 teeth, and any more than that can lead to chewing problems. These concerns need to be addressed immediately before they become any bigger.

Bethesda Dental Health is a family dentistry which provides teeth whitening, root canal and tooth extraction services, among many others. Contact us on our website or at 310-654-1887.

Share:
1

(301) 654-1887

Call us today!